Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Waiting for a Publisher

For months, I was ecstatic because I cleared that first hurdle (Oh, geez, sports metaphors now? WHO AM I?). I got a literary agent! Someone to validate the hours I spend avoiding people!

And now I'm waiting for that next official step, the acceptance of a publisher.

I figured it would take FOREVER, but what I don't think was clear to me was how long FOREVER would feel, every single day stretching onward without knowing, and then weeks, and then months pass. And the impatient person who sometimes takes control of my mouth starts shouting, WHEN? WHEN? CAN'T THEY SEE I'M BRILLIANT? (The impatient person lacks humility. Let us pray for her.)

To be honest, there are lots of days I don't think about it. There may have even been an entire week (see every post I've ever posted on the craziness of life as a foster parent) at some point when I didn't think about it.

But at other times, I'm so eager to see my book published, to be able to pass copies along to my friends, to go into bookstores and see it among those other amazing books that when I'm there, I make a little gap on the shelf where it's supposed to be, where I believe that, one day, it will be.

And I think, right there--that's my spot.

And then I think about that POSSIBILITY, and even with all the waiting, I know I would never want to do or be anything else.

3 comments:

  1. "The impatient person lacks humility. Let us pray for her." <---snort!

    I hear you. It does feel like forever and every now and again I have to stop and count my blessings and just be grateful for so many other things. And then remember that this is my own special journey and I can't compare it to anyone else's or it will eat me alive!

    So um...yeah. *passes you a cookie*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm in your EXACT SAME BOAT right now. Got a great agent! The proposal SHINES! Yet it's been a month (okay, maybe 3 weeks?) and I haven't heard back from all of them. Some of them, yes. There is not a DAY that goes by that I'm not praying I'll hear something good.

    In the meantime, to take your mind off your worries, come over and sign up to follow my blog, leave a comment, and I'll enter you to win one of those ALREADY published books...hee. It's Dani Pettrey's SUBMERGED and it's a signed copy. I LOVE IT!

    My blogspot is http://www.heatherdaygilbert.blogspot.com. I'd love to hear from you and stay connected during our WAITING HOURS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, one day I'll begin. The biggest hurdle is just writing! Congrats on making it this far in your journey!

    ReplyDelete